- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 1 can (440 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained and blended smooth
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise
Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, chili powder, oregano and cumin and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture forms a paste. Slowly add water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and stir in diced tomatoes, brown sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce starts to thicken, about 15 minutes. Stir in Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise. Use as a sauce for your favorite enchilada recipe.
WHAT TO MAKE NEXT