Crispy “Chicken” Oyster Mushroom Taco with Vegan Ranch Slaw
- CHICKEN FRIED MUSHROOMS
- Oil for frying
- 8 large oyster mushrooms torn apart into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Hellmann's® Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) rice flour
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) pepper
- CAESAR SLAW:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped kale
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) julienned carrots
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) sliced green onions
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Hellmann's® Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- 4 corn tortillas for serving
For CHICKEN FRIED MUSHROOMS: Gently bring a medium pot of high smoke point oil (canola, vegetable, peanut) to 350°F (180°C).
Put Hellmann's® Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing In a medium bowl. Add mushrooms and toss, making sure each mushroom is completely covered with the dressing.
In a separate bowl mix together flour, rice flour, salt, and pepper. Remove mushrooms and coat each mushroom with flour mixture. Set aside on a wire rack.
Gently drop the mushrooms into the hot oil in batches and fry until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes. (Be sure not to over crowd the pot). Once mushrooms are browned, remove from oil and allow to drain on a wire cooling rack or paper towel. Season with salt if desired.
For CAESAR SLAW: In a bowl toss together kale, carrots, red cabbage, green onions, radish, lemon zest and Hellmann’s® Vegan Caesar Dressing.
Warm tortillas and start building the tacos. Assemble tacos with crispy mushrooms, and then the slaw. Finish with more lemon zest and black pepper. Drizzle with additional Salad Dressing if desired.
WHAT TO MAKE NEXT